Thursday, December 14, 2006

Blustery Day

Well, it's quite the blustery day here in the Pacific Northwest. Lots of rain (more than usual, really. It's not normally THIS wet), and the winds are whipping, making a huge mess of everything.

The fun part is that this is the night of the Arena.Net holiday party, so we'll be braving the flooded roads and dodging downed trees just to go have some fun at an uber arcade called Illusionz. But that's what Seattle-ites do, deal with rain and play lots and lots of games - mostly video games.

But enough about the weather, the main point of interest for me today is a couple of pieces of anthology news.

First, the Golden Age SF: Tales of a Bygone Future anthology that I have a story in, just got reviewed by Locus Magazine (The magazine of the Fantasy and Science Fiction Field). The review was quite positive, using words like "an agreeable anthology." The reviewer had wonderful things to say about many of the pieces in the anthology. I assume he would have said nice things about my story, "On the Off-Ramp of the Inter-Galactic Super Highway," but perhaps he just ran out of room.

But I love this anthology and am really proud to be included in it. There is a foreword by Arthur C. Clarke, for goodness sake. Who wouldn't want to be in this anthology. If you are interested in finding out more about this anthology, go look at the book's website at www.bygonefutures.com.
The second piece of great news is that Eric Reynolds, the editor of the Bygone Futures anthology, has asked me to write a story for his next anthology, which will feature artwork from some of the best SF artists in the field accompanying each story. In fact, the authors are being asked to write stories based on images from these artists. It's so completely retro, and I can't wait to start writing.

I'll keep you all informed about how the story progresses, as well as keeping you all (Hi, mom) up to date with my novel career and whatever happenings I can divulge about my work at ArenaNet.

until later, stay dry.

2 comments:

seattle1299 said...

Welcome to Seattle, Will. Came across your profile while updating my LinkedIn network and stumbling upon you as another Purdue/Alpha Phi Omega/Seattle-ite. Quite a few Boilermakers have landed out here...mainly due to Boeing, but some tech, too. I'm at Expedia.

Will McDermott said...

Thanks for reading my blog. It's great to find another APOer here in Seattle.